Monday, December 6, 2010

Nonna's lasagne still tastes better!

Onward to continue my travels in Italy, I returned to Florence to complete my immersion in the culture that is Italian renaissance art.



Florence is home to Michelangelo's David - I was awestruck. The size and detail of this statue blew me away.
I lined up for about an hour to get into the Uffizi gallery to see artworks by Botticelli, Michaelangelo, Rafael and Da Vinci.



Made a quick stop in Pisa to do the touristy shot!



One of the most beautiful places in Italy I have visited so far has to be the Cinque Terre in the Italian Riviera - consisting of 5 towns that jutt out along the rugged coastline.
Tourists flock to the Cinque Terre to complete a beautiful scenic walk from the 1st to the 5th old-world charming towns.



Trying to find the hostel I was staying in was a bit of a mission....
I stayed in the 1st town - Riomaggiore. No-one warned me that this town is also the steepest! With my 20kg backpack on I trugged up a steep hill to find the hostel - turns out it was just the office.
Me, along with 8 other people followed the owner to our hostel... 20 MINUTES and 500m ASCENT LATER... we arrive to find out that the key didnt fit in the lock. The very sweaty fat Italian owner made the descent back to the office and arrived about an hour later to let us into the building only to find that he didn't have the key to get inside our room!
So, back down he went.
Lets just say he worked off the pasta he ate for lunch.

The next day I set off for the "scenic walk". Very misleading! It took us 5hrs of zig-zag stairs, climbing over uneven rocks, narrow paths (with real risk of plummeting to certain death if you lost your footing!). It was definatly a mission in the scorching sun.
But the ocean views and winding through olive orchards and vineyards and watching the next town poke out inbetween the track made it all worthwhile.



Swimming in the crystal clear water of the Italian riviera was very refreshing and revived the muscles.



After travelling through Venice, Rome, Naples, Tuscany, Florence and the Italian Riviera I can still say that my Nonna's lasagne is the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment