Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Celebrating Argentina's independance in a mosh pit

When I arrived to Buenos Aires... everything was shut... the dorm was empty.. and I was eating Sao's for dinner. Not quite what I imagined to be doing in such a lively city.
It wasn't until the next day... the 25th of May that I discovered it was the Bicentenary of Argentina's Revolution. I made my way down to the 9 de Julio Avenue - the main avenue in Buenos Aires and saw the swarm of Argentinians celebrating their independance - and could not walk a step without being trodden on or shoulder barged!It was amazing to see how patriotic everyone was... most carrying their nations flag on their back.

The celebrations continued into the night.. everyone lined the main avenue and waited for the parade to begin - which we all thought was to start at 8pm. By 10pm the music and dancing finally started!The parade represented various moments in Argentinian history - the British invasion, the crossing of the Andes, the arrival of the Immigrants and finally their democracy.
There were hundreds of dancers and it was more spectacular than any parade I've ever seen and managed to get covered in foam, confetti and water..
After 2hrs the parade finished and the celebrations continued with bands playing and fireworks lighting the sky.
The Obelisk was erected in the center of Buenos Aires to commemorate the founding of the city, and can be seen from afar towering over the city.I also saw the Recoleta cemetary... a cemetary full of family crypts. Evita Peron is laid to rest here.

No comments:

Post a Comment